Monday, October 25, 2010

Rainy weekend

This past weekend I was over at my folks to help out as Mom is still not on her feet after surgery. On Saturday I tore down her sewing machine/surger table and reassembled it into the spare bedroom. Whew! That was a job. I also vacuumed and dusted her room, moved the day bed under the far window and generally tidied up.

On Sunday I pulled a few weeds at my place while waiting for a 1/2 cord of oak firewood to be delivered. Wow! I didn't realize how much a 1/2 cord was...I think I'm good for the winter. ;-) In the afternoon I went back to the folks home to tidy up the rest of the house; vacuum, mop and dust. I also made a potato-leek soup for mom for the next few days. I should not have added the oregano. It overwhelmed the leek and thyme flavors. Last week's soup was better without it.

When I got home my neighbor Matt, the cabinet maker, came over with samples of my kitchen cabinetry. The kitchen was never finished off at the base and he mentioned he had the materials to do so. He brought samples of a railing that can be installed under the cabinets to hide under-cabinet lighting and molding across the top of the cabinets as well. The molding were only 1 1/2"-2" and too short for what I want. I'm thinking they need at least a 5" cap due to the height of the ceilings and cabinets.  He's going to bring over his catalog of moldings. He warned me they were EXPENSIVE...how expensive could the be? Stay tuned...I'll post when I find out.

I settled into watching Dexter at 6pm but the sunset was so spectacular I had to go outside to watch and photograph. The second image is a bit later in the evening. Wow! It sure was pretty. :-) I taped Dexter but he's on several times during the week so no biggie.




My new Kitchenaid heavy-duty stand mixer arrived last week. It's RED! I'm anxious to try it out. I'm going to stop at the store tonight and get makings for chocolate chip cookies. I'm adding pecans and walnuts, maybe cranberry too. Mom and Dad will like a little taste treat...I'll leave the cranberries out of Dad's...he's so fussy.

No comments:

Post a Comment