Friday, October 22, 2010

More fruit trees

With the rains we just had, the soil will be ready to till in a couple of days as it starts to dry out. I'm getting the bug to get the soil amended readying it for fall planting. In addition to the citrus I mentioned in my last post, as most know I have an unusually large collection of figs. I have over 90 varieties and multiples of most. Not all of these will go into the ground but I do have a list of 30-35 must have varieties to plant. The hillside I am on will need to be terraced and irrigation installed. I'm hoping my neighbors are willing to help me out with this task as they have the heavy equipment for a job this big.

With the number of figs I have planning a permanent layout is important. Do I plant the figs by color of syconium (fruit's skin), by the country they are from, by height of a mature tree; larger on the north side of the row, dwarf on the south, or how? I’m leaning towards a hybrid of country/height for my plantings. All my Portuguese trees in one row the tallest if known on the north end. I have Italian, French, American hybrids, Spanish and Middle Eastern (combining Syrian, Turkish, Iranian in one row) figs as well. This will be a fun adventure planting my own private germplasm!



Other fruit trees I want to get include a loquat, apricot, anna apple, maybe a peach and another avocado, mexicola, hass or bacon. I also want to get a few unusual plants like an allspice, coffee and kaffer lime.

Then on to the flowers. I've already planted over 100 German iris. I want lots of drought tolerent but flowering plants on the front hill. I'm thinking Pride of Madeira, Day lilies in yellow, agapanthas, honeysuckle, star jasmine,  pink babies breath, Aust tea tree in pink or red, etc. Lots of garden dreams on a drizzly day!

3 comments:

  1. Count me in for some cuttings of the Bacon tree! A few cuts around the belly would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better get busy! You've got a lot planned that will take you years to achieve! A Bacon Tree...really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a "Bacon" Avocado tree. It's a variety of avocado like the Haas or Fuerte.

    ReplyDelete