Sunday, April 3, 2011

Linguica

Last Friday I made a batch of linguica stuffing that needed to marinate for 48 hours before stuffing in hog casings. Well today is the day I stuffed the hog casings. This is my first attempt at making sausage and it was messy but fun! I have a long way to go to get the links similar in size but that will come with practice. Next up for these links is the smoker. I have a built in smoker in my BBQ. I've soaked some hickory chips and am headed to the smoker to try it for the first time! Lots of firsts this weekend!


The first casing which made the links in the picture below was made using the larger of the two stuffers. I thought it was too big so the next casing I used the smaller stuffer.


The last 3 links used the smaller stuffer. It's a better size for linguica.


So now they are off to the smoker. I have no idea how long to smoke as the directions didn't say. I'll go at least 2 hrs if not 4. I'll search the net to see if I can find a generic sausage smoking time.

Fun!

edit: Here's the final smoked linguica:


It looks good, like linguica is supposed to look. The flavor was quite different than I'm used to tasting though. A bit over spiced (too many spices). I'll definately try another recipe next time. Mom is trying to remenber how Grandma made hers using sour oranges (Seville). This recipe called for sherry. Others call for red wine. Now why didn't I make that one??? ;-)

3 comments:

  1. I'm curious to know how they tasted? I hope as good as you remember your Grandma's was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I have to admit, I don't care for this recipe. It is edible but has a fairly stong spice flavor. It also kind of falls apart when cut. I think I need a binder of some kind but no recipe I've found calls for one. They sure looked good coming out of the smoker! I'll have to post a pic when I get home.

    ReplyDelete