Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cliff Swallows

I'm sure you've heard of the Swallows of San Juan Capistrano returning every March 19 to the Mission. These are Cliff Swallows. They make a very pretty mud nest that are like cement when completed. How do I know...I have my own Swallows...nesting in the entry way of my front door. I didn't even notice them until a couple days ago! I get home late, usually after dark so that my explain why I didn't notice them before...now what to do about it?

Since they start laying eggs before the nest is finished I'm sure there are eggs so I can't destroy the nest at this point. From what I've read, the eggs incubate for a couple weeks then it's another 6-8 weeks before flying off. Once they migrate back to Mexico for the Winter, I'll be able to destroy the nest and hopefully get all the mud off the stucco. I'll just have to stay vigilent next year since they 'return' to the same nesting spot! Until then, they are pretty to watch as they fly around the front yard.
Here are some pics of the nest and the birdie inside...





and of course, last night's sunset...

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment